Greetings from Yaroslavl! Since returning from Moscow last Sunday, I’ve had an action-packed week of volunteer work at a number of different placements, increased my mileage and freaked out Russians with this newfangled thing called “jogging,” and received a deluge of hits and comments and love by virtue of being Freshly Pressed. Thank you all so much for your lovely words and support.
As usual, every week(ish) I put out a short list of my favorite virtual finds. I hope you find them as interesting as I have. Look out for more posts on Moscow and my volunteer work coming soon!
- Just last week, another batch of students graduated graduated from my alma mater. Without fail, President Drew Faust made yet another memorable Baccalaureate Address speech on the “The updraft of inexplicable luck” (and she even quoted Carlie Rae Jepsen).
- My dear friend Roxanne is leaving her beloved home of Jerusalem this week, and she writes about it beautifully in her Jerusalem Swan Song.
- A couple weeks ago, I wrote about Victory Day in Yaroslavl. Ivan from chernikovmoon sent me this awesome tilt-shift video of a Victory Day parade in another Russian city, Syktyvkar.
- Those who know me well know that I love confectionary art. This one takes the cake (ha!): Animated Zoetrope Cake Inspired by Tim Burton.
- “During a road trip through the South Island of New Zealand, I stopped passing cars to ask them which way to Mordor.” That’s my kinda girl. Confessions of an International Traveler on Thought Catalog.
- Having studied a language in a foreign country, I really enjoyed this comical take on learning German in Düsseldorf on Matador Network: Diary of a Foreign Language Class Clown.
- Currently Reading: Wild by Cheryl Strayed (aka Sugar)
- Currently Listening: Mama by Iowa (it is in Russian, but I promise it’s so catchy you won’t even care!)
“Mama, when I’m near him
I forget where I am, who I am…”